corpus-paul - Re: gospel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Edgar Krentz <ekrentz AT lstc.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gospel
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:17:23 -0700

At 8:51 AM +1000 7/13/01, Rick S wrote:

I am simply asking whether Paul's'gospel' came to his audience first of all in written form [like
announcements of weddings and holy-days etc did]. The contents were read and heard and the message called EUAGGELION.

Does the verb EUAGGELIZ- 'imply oral communication'? It certainly includes
oral communication, but there's little doubt that it can also include
written communication.

What evidence do you have for this, Rick? Certainly not in Luke-Acts. Is there one word in Pauls own letters to support this?

Two things: why did Jerome think Paul referred to a written Gospel when he
spoke of 'my gospel'? Didn't Jerome know that Paul communicated 'his gospel'
orally?

I imagine that Jerome, knowing written gospels, could not imagine a time without them.

Secondly, what was an EUAGGELISTHS? A reader? A writer? Both? Neither?

One who announced good news. The term certainly has no contacts with read, in Latin Lector, in Greek a form of anaginosko.

Rick Strelan
University of Queensland

Edgar Krentz
Christ Seminary--Seminex Professor of New Testament, Emeritus
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
1100 East 55th Street, Chicago, IL 60615
Tel: 773-256-0773; home phone 773-947-8105
e-mail: ekrentz AT lstc.edu
home e-mail: ekrentz AT winstarmail.com
GERASKO D' AEI POLLA DIDASKOMENOS
"I grow old, constantly learning many things." [Solon of Athens]