corpus-paul - Re: Jesus and death

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-paul' <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jesus and death
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:36:38 -0400

Though this is not quite on the subject of whether Jesus would have died, a few who have commented on this question cite 2 Cor 5:16 as evidence that Paul was not interested in the historical Jesus.  Such easy acceptance of this reading needs, I think, to be reassessed given what I find to be the convincing arguments put forward by many interpreters that show that the phrase "according to the flesh" is adverbial.  This means the verse speaks of a way of knowing, not about what is known (or not known) about Jesus or about how important such knowledge was for Paul.

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney
Lexington Theological Seminary
631 S. Limestone