corpus-paul - Re: Jesus and death

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jesus and death
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:12:12 -0400

Jim, et al.,

I am saying that Paul seems to look at Jesus through the theological lens of the death and resurrection of Jesus.  Note that when Paul recounts prepauline tradition in 1 Cor 15 he tells of the early Christian tradition about Jesus, centering on his death and resurrection.  In 2 Cor 5:16 he says he isn't interested in the pre-Good Friday/Easter Jesus (Jesus "according to the flesh") because it doesn't matter.  He seems not to know about the sayings of Jesus, such as we find in the gospels, or not to care.

Frank W. Hughes
Codrington College
Barbados