corpus-paul - Re: Paul and the Law

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <ellielliott AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul and the Law
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:39:58 -0700

My own research requires a new perspective on Paul and the Law. I argue
that Paul's negative view of the Law has its source in the problematic
association of circumcision with the ritual self-castration of the galli of
the Mother of the Gods in the Anatolian context of Galatians. His
rhetorical strategy in Galatians identifies the Law as another Mountain
Mother of the Gods (Hagar, the Meter Sinaiene) and shows the audience that
circumcision would enslave them to the Law in the same way that the galli
are enslaved to the Mother of the Gods.

If this is the source of Paul's negative view of the Law, it raises a lot of
new questions for our understanding of "Paul and the Law."

A thumbnail presentation is in the last JBL.

Elli Elliott (ellielliott AT msn.com)
Pastor, Zion United Church of Christ, Sterling, Colorado
PhD, New Testament & Early Christianity, Loyola University Chicago