corpus-paul - Re: Seeking book suggestions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Joy Lutheran" <joyluthn AT mtaonline.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Seeking book suggestions
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:41:50 -0900

Prof. Donfried

For Pauline reading, I would suggest two older, but in my opinion still
great, "entrance level" books(especially for undergraduates). One is
Bornkamm's "Paul", the other Calvin Roetzel's "The Letters of Paul" (which
has been updated as I'm certain your aware of already). A third book that I
recently looked at is Jerome Murphy-O'Connor's "Paul: A Critical Life". It
is quite a bit longer, but I thought quite readable.

Good Luck on you travels and your selections.

Rev. Martin W. Eldred
Joy Lutheran Church
Eagle River, Alaska

> Karl Donfried wrote:
>
> > I will be leading a tour to Pauline sites later this year, something I
> > have done many times with students. This time it is for a group of
> > alums, most of whom have no academic background. What I am looking for
> > are solid, brief and readable (non-technical) books to recommend to them
> > in the following three areas: 1) Paul, 2) late second temple Judaism
> > including the DSS, and 3) the period of earliest Christianity.
> >
> > I should be most grateful if any of you had suggestions.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Karl Donfried
> >
> > ---
> > You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: dgarlington AT ica.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to corpus-paul as: joyluthn AT mtaonline.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')