corpus-paul - Re: Seeking book suggestions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Seeking book suggestions
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 06:05:23 +1100

K. Donfried wrote:
> What I am looking for are solid, brief and readable (non-technical) books
to recommend to them
> in the following three areas: 1) Paul, 2) late second temple Judaism
> including the DSS, and 3) the period of earliest Christianity.

On Paul what about Tom Wright's "What Saint Paul Really Said" (Oxford: Lion,
1997. 192 pages). Nothing on the journeys as such but a good little primer
on some of Paul's thinking in context. Or else, another level up, F. F.
Bruce's "Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans,
1991).
On Judaism my pick is Lester L. Grabbe's "An Introduction to First Century
Judaism: Jewish Religion and History in the Second Temple Period.
(Edinburgh: T & T Clark 1996). It's 124 pages long and has everything
(including DSS) one would need for a basic understanding of the history,
culture and literature of 2TJ.
John Dickson
Department of Ancient History
Macquarie University