corpus-paul - Re: Seeking book suggestions

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Seeking book suggestions
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 08:55:32 -0500

At 08:12 AM 1/13/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I will be leading a tour to Pauline sites later this year, something I
>have done many times with students. This time it is for a group of
>alums, most of whom have no academic background. What I am looking for
>are solid, brief and readable (non-technical) books to recommend to them
>in the following three areas: 1) Paul,

on Paul I would suggest the article in the "Anchor Bible Dictionary". I
know its not a book, but it is well worth reading and not so long that they
will be discouraged.

2) late second temple Judaism

Martin Jaffee's "Early Judaism"- GREAT stuff here.

>including the DSS,

For the DSS - may I suggest James VanderKam's book "The Dead Sea Scrolls
Today"
or- and this is too bold of me, may I suggest they visit the online course I
offer on the subject- at
http://www.theology.edu/b451intr.htm

and 3) the period of earliest Christianity.

There is a great book- "Early Christians Speak", by Everette Ferguson. This
is a sourcebook but it is a great read and has tons of fascinating
information.

>I should be most grateful if any of you had suggestions.
>
>Many thanks,
>Karl Donfried

hope some of this is useful.

Best,