corpus-paul - Re: Chronology of Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chronology of Paul
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 09:08:55 -0500

Robert M Schacht wrote:

> Hanz Dieter Betz, in his article on Paul for the Anchor Bible Dictionary,
> constructs a surprising (to me) chronology of Paul's work.
>
> In trying to date the apostolic conference described in Galatians 2:1-10,
> he notes that it presumes that Peter is still in Jerusalem, thus putting
> it before his departure as reported in Acts 12:17. Galatians 2:1-10 also
> implies James & John, sons of Zebedee, were still alive, identifying the
> John in verse 9 as John bar Zebedee. If his brother James was
> assassinated by Herod Agrippa I as described in Acts 12:2, etc., then
> the Galatians 2 apostolic conference must have happened before the death
> of Herod Agrippa in 44 C.E.
>
> Given that datum, we then have the testimony in Gal. 1:18 - 2:1 that the
> conference occurred 14+3 years after his conversion, which would put his
> conversion at about 28 C.E. (citing Vielhauer 1975)! Since most
> estimates of Jesus' crucifixion place it about 33 C.E., something is
> obviously wrong here. I am surprised that this piece survived the
> editorial process at ABD, but since it did, Betz's reconstruction must
> not be totally goofball.
>
> What are the best dates for
> 1. Jesus' crucifixion
> 2. Paul's conversion
> 3. The first(?) "apostolic conference" described in Gal. 1:18 with Peter
> and James "the Lord's brother"
> 4. The second(?) apostolic conference described in Gal. 2:1-10?
>
> Bob

Though there are may good discussions of Paul's chronology (have a look at
Morphy-O'Connor's [_Paul: A Critical Life_] and Jewett's, the latter being
influenced
by Knox's _Chapter's in a Life of Paul_), I would suggest that you have a
look at the
discussion of this and the other matters you raise in George Caird's article
"Chronology, New Testament" in The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible.
This has the
advantage of setting out the various possibilities for the dates you want
information
on, and then discussing the pros and cons of each.

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson