corpus-paul - Re: Chronology of Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Chronology of Paul
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:20:13 +1000

John Dickson wrote:

Surely, the James spoken of here is the 'Lord's brother' not John's
>brother!
>> Placing his name first implies it is not the James + John we see
>elsewhere.

To which Jon Peter replied

>Hello, John... the assassination of James the Lord's brother is described
by
>Josephus as occurring about two decades later (Ant. XX.ch9) under much
>different circumstances than the story in Acts 12.2.

However, I was refering to the James spoken of in Gal 2:9 not Acts 12:2.
Clearly, the later is the Zebedee. My point was that Gal 2:9 implies not the
presence of Zebedee but of 'the Lord's brother'. Thus the previous comment
of Robert Schacht ("Galatians 2:1-10 also implies James & John, sons of
Zebedee, were still alive, identifying the John in verse 9 as John bar
Zebedee.") was incorrect.

Regards

John Dickson
jdickson AT bigpond.com