corpus-paul - RE: Paul's "dying for us" language

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Paul's "dying for us" language
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:22:07 -0600

>{Bill}
>hILASTHRION translated as "propitiation" will do for what we are
discussing,
>no? How would you translate it??

{Jim}
i will butt in here--- propitiation is wrong here as a translation- and
leads to nothing but misunderstanding. expiation, and expiation alone will
do.

{Bill}
Jim, you would have the agreement of the RSV. Others might disagree with
you. "Mercy seat" would have way more support than "expiation" since the
word in question is used to translate KAPPORETH 22 times in the Septuagint.

By the way, I think your authoritarian tone, void of anything other than
your words as proof, and admitting to no possible alternate, is thoroughly
inappropriate.

But no matter:

If it is "mercy-seat," then Christ's blood is the atonement thereon;
If it is "propitiation," then Christ is the satisfaction of the public sense
of justice;
If it is "expiation" [which I personally find weak], then Christ is the
basis of our forgiveness.