cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] CC going mad?

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] CC going mad?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:46:02 +0100

On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 10:20AM, David M. Berry
<d.berry AT sussex.ac.uk> wrote:

>This feels like a really bad office joke.

I think that's probably the best comparison.

>It feels cliquey,

That would be a complaint I have. But if they'd sent the clip in private it
would have got out and people would've complained about CC being secretive or
whatever.

>sounds
>like it was recorded on someones office desktop computer in Microsoft
>Office OneNote 2003 and mixed in the lunch-break.

The right to create doesn't carry a responsibility to create a great work of
art. So some lawyers wanted to make a techno track of "Happy Birthday", had
fun doing so, and it came out sounding about as you'd expect? Good for them.
:-)

>Somewhere, someone
>in CC should have looked at it and said no way.

I find the idea amusing (I've no interest in actually listening to the
track). And it is a good illustration of the problems of 'permission
culture'.

Cliqueiness and low quality may work against it, but lots of blogs have
picked up the ridiculous-copyright-law issue. On balance, I think this is
constructive.

- Rob.