cc-south-caucasus - Re: [Cc-south-caucasus] Armenia_ALL CC Licenses

cc-south-caucasus AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons in the South Caucasus

  • From: Movses Hakobyan <movses.hakobyan AT gmail.com>
  • To: Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-south-caucasus AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-south-caucasus] Armenia_ALL CC Licenses
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 23:03:49 +0500

Dear Diane,
Frankly, there is no way to be in line with Armenian legislation in this
regard because collections and adaptations are treated under the same
definition namely "Derivative Works" under Armenian Law. The problem is that
legally we could not separate them, otherwise to keep license as restricting
derivative works (as for Armenian law) shall mean restrict collections too,
which is contrary to the philosophy of creative commons licenses with ND
element. If you have any suggestion they are really welcome. By the way,
what do you think it is possible to restrict collections (collective works)
as a part of derivative works?
Thanks
Movses

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 22:01, Diane Peters <diane AT creativecommons.org>wrote:

> Dear Movses,
> To follow up on this proposal per the email thread below, I have no
> objections to the structure and am supportive. My only concerns were that
> (1) this structure needed to legally work under Armenian law, and it appears
> that it does from your emails, and (2) users of the licenses (and courts in
> your jurisdiction, for that matter) are able to understand the structure
> without difficulty. Your emails suggest this works for the licenses, and so
> I'm supportive of how this has worked out. I believe we're set!
>
> Looking forward to seeing the concluded licenses. Good luck with that
> process, and thanks for your hard work and focus on the intricacies of the
> license porting.
>
> Diane
>

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Movses Hakobyan <
> movses.hakobyan AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Catharina,
>> It is very nice to come to the conclusion with drafting Licenses. I hope
>> in a couple of days I will forward all materials for proofreading.
>> Thank you for expertize
>> Movses
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 15:47, Catharina Maracke <
>> catharina AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Movses,
>>> Many thanks for getting back to me on this. Your suggestion sounds fine
>>> to me if this also fits into Armenian law? If you go for this solution,
>>> please make sure that in both licenses including the ND element (BY-ND and
>>> BY-NC-ND) you don't mention the term "derivative work" or "adaptation" in
>>> the license grant or in Section 7) or 8).
>>>
>>> Diane, do you have any objections or concerns?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much again to all of you.
>>>
>>> Catharina
>>>
>>> Dr. Catharina Maracke
>>> catharina AT creativecommons.org
>>>

>>> On Jun 22, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Movses Hakobyan wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Catharina,
>>> I see we are in the final stage, and just the last question: what do you
>>> think if I take over the structure /solution from BY-ND Unported version
>>> as
>>> below? Is this OK? So, first goes definition of Adaptation that includes
>>> "derivative work" (only for the purpose of this License) then "collection"
>>> that will not be considered asan Adaptation and so on.
>>>
>>> Movses
>>>
>>> *1. Definitions*
>>>
>>> 1. *"Adaptation"* means a work based upon the Work, or upon the Work
>>> and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, adaptation,
>>> derivative
>>> work, arrangement of music or other alterations of a literary or
>>> artistic work, or phonogram or performance and includes cinematographic
>>> adaptations or any other form in which the Work may be recast,
>>> transformed,
>>> or adapted including in any form recognizably derived from the
>>> original,
>>> except that a work that constitutes a Collection will not be
>>> considered an
> [...]

Movses Hakobyan
Lawyer/Project Director
Internews' Centre for Information Law and Policy
3 Arshakunyats Ave, Yerevan 0023, Armenia
tel: + 374 10 583620
fax: + 374 10 569041
www.internews.am
www.media.am