cc-sampling - [cc-sampling]: Negate-ative-land

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: David Meme <david AT locarecords.com>, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [cc-sampling]: Negate-ative-land
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:35:31 -0700

At 7:40 PM +0100 4/20/05, David Meme wrote:
This strikes me as a weird attitude. You are saying that if it were legal to copy and reuse stuff you wouldn't want to.

I wasn't so black and white. I said "it's less interesting".

Rather than looking for interesting sounds from all over you seem to be making the odd point that you'll only do it if it causes a fuss - which seems somewhat cynical to me.

Cynical?? No, we're unrealistic idealists! :) I'd say you sound more like a "realist". And I said nothing whatsoever about intentionally making a fuss, so be careful not to add things into what I actually said.

Do you make art yourself?? I am guessing no. If you do, you might understand my comments a bit better. My comments were not so much bout being logical or politically effective in making change ( all good things, and why we agreed to work with CC to create the sampling licence). I am merely expressing the feelings that can lurk behind the choices artists make. It's all about what inspires you to create!

Perhaps you think Negativland are activists first and artists second?? If so, you have it all backwards! :) While the activist aspect of our work is very important and clear to us (check out NO BUSINESS, our new IP related CD/book project that comes out in late May), none of us are about to move to DC! Our first and foremost concern is in making good smart art. So, for me, I am not inspired to create anything I would like by taking things from NIN, for example!

Do I want to make a "mash-up" of David Bowie's music because he mounts a big add campaign telling me to? No. ( yet I can still see the bigger picture value in having a mainstream artist like Bowie promoting the idea of letting folks re-use his stuff). And while we have on occasion used stuff from public places like the Prelinger Archive, again, it becomes less interesting to use because its so widely accessible. We are trying to have a unique voice in how we appropriate, so, quite often, the more obscure the better. Does this make sense?

Our "U2" single, the very thing that ultimately led to us being involved with CC in the first place, would never be made today because, in 2005, any out takes of a celebrity guy like Casey Kasem would be all over the web as mp3s. Back in 1991, this was not the case, and hardly anyone had those tapes. So we were inspired to use them.

While, from an aesthetic angle, the U2 single was it was it was because we liked how it sounded, we *also* did all the stuff we did on that single *precisely* because they all seemed like things we were not supposed to do. So it was both things. Art, pranks, shit-stirring, activism. Pretty much in that order. It was FUN to do it that way! We were inspired! And we thought it made for some very funny and very smart art. An real all-around spiffy package, if I say so myself.

There will always be a small percentage of artists who are dangerously drawn like moths to a flame to do work like that. And, historically, it is what moves art forward. In retrospect, I can see that that role is essential for a healthy culture, both aesthetically and politically. But it also means that once everyone is doing it, and it becomes safe and easy ( the world CC is trying to create) , it is automatically not so exciting or inspiring any more. Does that seem to be a bit juvenile of an attitude to have?? Perhaps it is, but I don't really think so- if I ain't inspired, I simply ain't makin' it. So I gotta be inspired! Following rules and joining clubs doesn't inspire me too much. That's just the kind of person I am, and I'd say all the past and present members of Negativland are cut from the same cloth.

Additionally, we might as well just have full-on copyright and close down any reuse if we extrapolate your argument.

Yes, but lets not be so binary, okay? My argument is what it is, and I wasn't askin' ya to go extrapolatin' it! :)

That way *all* samples would be interesting to you.

Hell, yes!!! :) That's been how we have been making music for 25 years!! Hee hee!! :)

I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but I think this statement of intent is a kind of pseudo-anti-establishment fight against the system that needs that very system in order to have meaning in your art. In other words, you negate any possibility of radicalism in what you are doing.

I can't actually follow what you say in this last paragraph. I don't see how we negate anything. Please explain.

Negate-ative-landly yours,

Mark

David