cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Movie Samples In Songs

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Ginrai <ginrai AT masterforce.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Movie Samples In Songs
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:36:13 -0700

Hi there. New here. I'm a musician and I've been experimenting with samples in my songs. Not musical samples, mind you, but snippets of dialogue from movies. I've heard that a lot bands that use samples like that just use them and hope no one calls them on it (and sometimes they're called on it, like when Skinny Puppy got into trouble by using a sample from Timothy Leery). It seems that it would hardly be worth the effort and red tape and money to try to get permission for a clip that lasts a second and isn't at all musical. I've looked through Skinny Puppy liner notes and they never mention where the samples come from. I've recognized a lot of them, Hitchcock movies, Scanners, A Clockwork Orange, 2001. Some of them are popular and some aren't. From a copyright perspective, I imagine it would be defendable in a lot of cases under fair use. You could say it's your song commenting on the crass commercial society that creaked the insincere movie and such.

I guess my question is, should I just use movie samples and to hell with it? Is it maybe safer to use samples from really obscure lame movies that no one has seen? Any comments are welcome.

-Ginrai