cc-nz - [Cc-nz] The Latest Chapter of the FarceBook

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NZOSS Open Discussion List <openchat AT lists.nzoss.org.nz>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] The Latest Chapter of the FarceBook
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:58:11 +1300

Kia ora koutou

Since we have been discussing what would happen when the company who
own the lion's share of the world's online social relationships start
aggressively monetizing that privatized commons, here's an article on
the beginning of the end for FB:
http://socialmediatoday.com/jc-kendall/1066006/google-communities-last-nail-facebooks-coffin

Note: this article heaps praise upon Google for doing *exactly* what
FB did in its earlier days. IMHO there's no reason to think they won't
be doing the same thing in 5 years that FB is doing now, and that we
won't be in an ever worse position if FB loses its monopoly to Google.
Just as the problem with aggressive defence of ARR copyright on the
web was both legal and educational, the problem to be solved with
social networking is both technical and educational, and as with
Linux/GNU, and CC, I think the answer is an open platform, not another
monopoly.

The technical side is that we need a secure, user-friendly standard(s)
for persistent identity ie I sign into a browser at the start of a
session, and the browser vouches for me everywhere else I go on the
web - "yup, this guy is who he says he is". OpenID is the oldest
standard, and has its own Foundation. The Mozilla Foundation is
developing another standard called BrowserID, which they claim is less
vulnerable to being used to track people. The government is now
offering iGovt for using government services online, based on another
standard called RealMe.

The educational side, is explaining to people why it's not wise to let
corporations like MS, FB, Apple or Google, or consortia like the RIAA
and MPAA hold their personal data, their culture, and their
relationships hostage. Also, letting people know there are
alternatives, and supporting their adoption.

Ma te wā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407

  • [Cc-nz] The Latest Chapter of the FarceBook, Danyl Strype, 12/17/2012