cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Victor <victor AT fourstones.net>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: "This is \"the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org.\"" <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:47:16 -0800

>> Also, there might not be enough raw data, meaning samples, tags, and backlinks. Having numbers on the order of 50,000 rather than 500 might be a prerequisite.

There's barely enough ratings on *remixes* to pull that off, leave alone samples. (I've had in the back burner to go back to having ratings and reviews on the same screen -- making either optional this time)

I've also thought about having a "most remixed" sort but when it comes to samples, you kind of *don't* want to re-use the same thing everyone else has already used.

I think eventually, of course, having the community just do it is the best solution, but until then "vic's picks" will have to do, which as we've seen with remix ed picks, will raise the bar in general.

Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 12:22 -1000, Lucas Gonze wrote:
>
> Would it be worth making http://freesound.iua.upf.edu available to
> ccMixter users (technically via Victor's "sample pools" feed/api)?

Yes, I've just been waiting for the feature to be turned on at mixter to start approaching them and the Reading folks. but as I write this...

> It's too bad that they're using the sampling+ license, but maybe they
> could be convinced to offer their users a migration to by and by-nc as
> we've done with mixter.

dam sampling license <shaking fist /> ;) I guess we should start priming them now, not sure what advantage there is to waiting now that we know it sort of, kind of works. I don't know why I thought adoption would be immediate (leave alone a given at all...)

VS