cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • To: "This is the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org." <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:34:07 -1000 (HST)

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Victor wrote:
Samples and sample packages are the life blood of the music industry.
Avoiding them, just on principle seems arbitrarily limiting -- why use
electricity when it's possible to make music without it?

Sure. And making sample packages is the kind of grunt work that people don't do for free. It's honest labor that you do to make a buck.

Still, I've been avoiding them because that's the kind of nazi I am. It's interesting and useful to learn that you and other people who know the issues well have already thought about this and decided to do it anyway.

If I did make a package of guitar samples under a free license, would it be useful?