cc-mixter - Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?

cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: This list is OBSOLETE and ignored

  • From: Victor <victor AT fourstones.net>
  • To: "This is the primary list for discussing and administrating ccmixter.org." <cc-mixter AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-mixter] [ccMixter] Can I upload samples from Sony libraries?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:07:30 -0800

Jon Phillips wrote:
I have been talking to various musican friends like Matmos, etc, and
there biggest need is with high quality samples...the same goes with
many DJs I know...they want high quality samples, and come to ccmixter
and can't find that many, so they turn to the sample libraries.

We have about 340 sample uploads. Some of those are single samples, some are packs with 10 or more, so it's safe to say there are well over 500 samples, cut and ready to use on ccMixter. (not counting the 400 Magnatune pre-cut samples)

Having listened to most of them I would guess about a third are things that Matmos or anybody would use.

The problem is that browsing and discovering samples has not been a focus on the site. Remix tracking and contests have been the main UI emphasis and I think that's worked out OK.

I've been thinking about this for a while and their really isn't a short cut to having someone with actual ears listen to all the samples and call out ("samples picks") those 33% that are actually useful.

VS