cc-metadata - Re: creator, contributor

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: creator, contributor
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:09:35 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
ML> I think these definitions map best to your option (C) --
ML> "creator" and "contributor" roles are assigned based on the
ML> relative importance of the contribution.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure how closely the CC RDF mapped
to the license requirements. Should I be able to tell from the
metadata who the parties to the license are?

Two things:
1) dc:rights (and soon dcterms:rightsHolder I hope) maps to the licensor party. Creators and contributors may or may not own any rights.
2) The mapping between the rights holder and the license grant in the RDF is not explicit -- the following triples may be present

Work, rightsHolder, JohnDoe.
Work, license, by-sa.

but there is no explicit statement that JohnDoe is making the license grant. I think in order to do that you'd need to assign the license property an ID and have a triple like

#license, licensor, JohnDoe.

I don't know that the added complexity is worthwhile, and the above may be a bad approach anyhow -- I've brought up the same construct in offline conversations about adding warranty statements and have been advised to avoid reification (statements about statements).