cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kent Mewhort <kmewhort AT cippic.ca>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:06:09 -0400

> The quote is right there. HTTPS is a technological measure. I'm not
> sure what "effective" means, so I don't know if HTTPS is "effective"
> or not.
HTTPS places no restrictions wrt the/recipient/ of the work. In an
SSL/TLS connection, the end recipient always has the decryption keys.
It's only other parties/middleman that have restricted access. This
differs from TPMs, in which the recipient is/, /by the very nature of
TPMs,//restricted from full access to the work.

Question for the crowd though: does the prohibition as worded really
have the effect of barring parallel distribution? We have:/

You may not restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
exercise the rights granted to that recipient by the terms of this
Public License, including through the imposition of any effective
technological measures.

/If you provide accessible parallel distribution, you're not really
restricting the /ability /of the recipient to exercise the rights
granted in any meaningful way...

Kent