cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:10:23 -0400

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Francesco Poli
<invernomuto AT paranoici.org> wrote:
> I think this is very awkward: you *can* distribute CC-by-sa-licensed
> material in a format that hampers modifications (while keeping your
> preferred form for modification for yourself), but you *cannot*
> absolutely apply even the weakest form of DRM, not even if you make
> DRM-unencumbered copies available in parallel!
>
> I acknowledge that DRM is worse than source secrecy, but anyway,
> what I described above looks like a sort of self-contradiction...

This part I don't agree with. In fact, it's not clear to me that
there is any difference at all between source secrecy and DRM. A
source-obfuscated work arguably *is* an "effective technological
measure". (As is a work which is encrypted, for instance, for
transfer over https.) And with the new termination clause, a minor
technical error in compliance terminates the license entirely.