cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
  • To: cc-licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 17:19:23 +0200

Hello to everybody,
Section 3(a)(5) of CC-by-sa-v4.0draft2 states:

[...]
> (5) You may not offer or impose any additional or different terms
> on the Work. You may not restrict the ability of a recipient of
> the Work from You to exercise the rights granted to that recipient
> by the terms of this Public License, including through the
> imposition of any effective technological measures.
[...]

The last part is the infamous anti-DRM (or anti-TPM, if you prefer)
clause, probably the most controversial part of CC-v3.0 licenses.
Again, it does not seem to have changed significantly.

As I said previously [1], I strongly recommend that this clause be
enhanced, so that it *explicitly* allows parallel distribution.

[1] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2012-January/006582.html

I hope this suggestion may be implemented in the next draft.

As was pointed out [2] by Anthony "osm", it's strange "that CC would
take such a hard line against DRM, while at the same time providing the
unquestionably non-free NC licenses."

[2] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2012-April/006835.html

Moreover, CC currently takes this hard line against DRM (through an
anti-DRM clause that I consider non-free), but, at the same time, *no*
CC license (not even CC-by-sa!) requires source availability.

I think this is very awkward: you *can* distribute CC-by-sa-licensed
material in a format that hampers modifications (while keeping your
preferred form for modification for yourself), but you *cannot*
absolutely apply even the weakest form of DRM, not even if you make
DRM-unencumbered copies available in parallel!

I acknowledge that DRM is worse than source secrecy, but anyway,
what I described above looks like a sort of self-contradiction...

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!