cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] TPM: please explicitly allow parallel distribution
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 18:48:18 -0400

I just wanted to echo what Francesco said. Especially when combined
with the new termination clause, this puts CC licenses into the "try
to avoid using" category. I now know the DRM clause was already
there, but I didn't realize it before reading the draft of 4.0.

It's still not clear to me why permission to circumvent is not
sufficient. Under US law "to ‘circumvent a technological measure’
means to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or
otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a
technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner"

The phrase "without the authority of the copyright owner" is right
there in the statute. I'd like for the CC lawyers to address this
aspect in particular and explain why permission to circumvent would
not work.

If this is only a problem in non-US law, then I would ask that the US
juridiction-specific license utilize permission to circumvent.