cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:06:27 +0000

On 24 Jan 2008, at 17:37, Evan Prodromou wrote:

s/brand/name/ . "What are we gaining by using the new name 'CC0' rather
than the old 'Public Domain Dedication'?"

I think the answer is something like, "Using 'CC0' clearly marks the
difference between a work _actually_ being in the public domain,
something that varies by jurisdiction and that the creator can't fully
control (or so we think), to a work being _effectively_ in the public
domain (to the extent possible under applicable law), which the creator
_can_ control."

I think that's clear enough that people will be able to understand the
change and the need for CC0, especially if the PDD is deprecated in
favour of CC0.

I think that the key difference from a legal standpoint is that the current CC PD dedication covers only copyright and that CCZero waiver covers other rights as well (and not just database rights).

From probably a more practical standpoint, the key difference is that the PD dedication has been forked into a waiver and an assertion.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007