cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David Maeztu <davidmaeztu AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:17:58 +0100

Claudio Ruiz escribió:
> Either way, from the strict legal sense, in Chile we have a important
> legal problem waiving patrimonial rights. While art. 11 of Copyright
> Law stablish the waive of all patrimonial rights as a public domain
> situation, art. 86 stand all the patrimonial rights as unrenunciable by
> authors (??).

Hi Claudio

I´m from spain but I`ve been working on legal issues about public domain
in Spain, specially with moral rights, and as you know we share many
parts of our legal codes.

I think in Chile you have to read art. 11 of Copyright law in relation
with art. 12 of Civil Code, both of Chile.

Copyright law
Art. 11. Pertenecen al patrimonio cultural común:
c) Las obras cuyos titulares renunciaron a la protección que otorga esta
ley;

[Art. 11 Belong to common cultural patrimony: (Public Domain)
c) The works whose holders resigned to the protection that grants this law]

Civil Code
Art. 12. Podrán renunciarse los derechos conferidos por las leyes, con
tal que sólo miren al interés individual del renunciante, y que no esté
prohibida su renuncia.

[The rights conferred by the laws will could be resigned, provided they
only watch the individual interest of the renunciante, and that is not
prohibited its resignation.]

As you say there´s a problem with article 86, but I cannot figure what´s
the aim of the artícle 11.c if it´s forbidden by that 86.

Art. 86. Son irrenunciables los derechos patrimoniales que esta ley
otorga a los titulares de los derechos de autor y conexos, especialmente
los porcentajes a que se refieren los artículos 50, 61, 62 y 67.

[The patrimonial rights are cannot be waived that this law grants the
holders of the connected rights of author and, specially the percentage
to that articles 50, 61, 62 and 67 talk about.]

It seems there´s a bug, :)

> We've been in our National Congress debating the reform of copyright law
> and this is certainly a very important situation that we've pointed, but
> there's not solution at this time. I think this legal situation must be
> solved before spread CC0 in Chile. Sadly :(

What told you, in National Congress, about this matter?

Un saludo.