cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 16:39:02 -0800

On 1/17/08, Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com> wrote:
> I posted some comments on the current draft and implementation up on
> my site:
>
> <http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/2008/01/16/dissecting-cczero/>

Many thanks for the detailed feedback. I'm just going to follow up on
one item now because it was my fault/suggestion, but we (meaning
not-me legal CC) will either follow up with or use your other
points...

> The major points:
>
> -- (Just a note/comment) this is based on US law and isn't an
> 'unported' version. Is the unported template for internationalization
> the Science Commons protocol?
> -- Waiver of moral rights and the conversation we've been having
> about CC v3.01
> -- There is no sign up process like the current public domain
> dedication -- Why not? I'd think that a 'signed writing' would be
> needed or at least desired. Does this process fit that requirement?
> If not, do you think some email process should be there?

I have no idea what qualifies as 'signed writing', so please educate
me, but I proposed this change internally because the email
verification doesn't verify anything -- any email address can be
provided and clicked through -- it is no different than just clicking
through another web form. The intention is for the confirmation form
to be scarier than it is now to warn people off, but we didn't have
time to flesh that out by the 15th (which was our self-imposed
deadline for opening for public feedback). That is definitely coming
(and the same language should presumably be used in an email
confirmation, if that is the rubber chicken that is legally required).

So clicking a link in email is no different than clicking a link on a
web page (I say!:)), but the latter is far superior in the context of
a license chooser integrated with another site, which is how lots of
people choose a CC license, and probably will choose CC0.

Finally, going through the PD dedication, license chooser, or CC0
chooser doesn't actually dedicate, license, or waive anything. That
requires actually publishing the code provided on a web page or pages
you control. *That* is the step that is (logically, in my mind anyway)
equivalent to signing something. It is a distinct choice, and if you
don't do it, nothing is effected.

Thanks again and in advance,
Mike