cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Jordan S Hatcher <jordan AT opencontentlawyer.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC0 beta/discussion draft launch
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:36:46 +0000

On 29 Jan 2008, at 19:49, Claudio Ruiz wrote:

Either way, from the strict legal sense, in Chile we have a important legal problem waiving patrimonial rights. While art. 11 of Copyright Law stablish the waive of all patrimonial rights as a public domain situation, art. 86 stand all the patrimonial rights as unrenunciable by authors (??).

We've been in our National Congress debating the reform of copyright law and this is certainly a very important situation that we've pointed, but there's not solution at this time. I think this legal situation must be solved before spread CC0 in Chile. Sadly :(

There are two parts to the public domain dedication legal code in the CCZero waiver however.

1. complete waiver (which could have the problems you mentioned above)
2. a licence covering just about anything you can think of with the work.

The relevant legal code in the CCZero Waiver is:

"Should the Waiver for any reason be judged legally ineffective in any jurisdiction, the Affirmer hereby grants a free, full, permanent, irrevocable, nonexclusive and worldwide license for all her or his copyright and related or neighboring legal rights in the Work."

<http://labs.creativecommons.org/licenses/zero-waive/1.0/us/legalcode>

So despite ambiguity in the law in Chile about waiving rights, the approach could be to fully license them like above. This would both implement the Science Commons protocol and be a port for CCZero.

You could also write a waiver (I would think) given that the law has conflicting text on whether that is okay. You don't have to take the prohibition as the legal standard -- you can argue that the law allowing it is the one that takes precedence.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
OC Blog: http://opencontentlawyer.com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Open Data Commons
<http://opendatacommons.org>

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007