cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.01 moral rights question and proposal

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andy Kaplan-Myrth <techlaw AT uottawa.ca>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.01 moral rights question and proposal
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:32:42 -0400

Hi,

Could somebody clarify what CC's position is on Moral Rights in countries where they can be waived?

For the avoidance of doubt:
i. In those countries which do not have moral rights, nothing happens.
ii. In those countries where moral rights cannot be waived, nothing happens.
iii. In those countries which have waivable moral rights or where it is possible to not assert them, the licensor waives or does not assert them

In the CC 2.5 Canada licences waived moral rights, and I expect to encounter resistance from some of our user base if we stop waiving them. But my understanding is that CC decided not to waive moral rights (or to only waive them minimally if required), even in jurisdictions where they can be waived.

Could somebody clarify that?

Thanks,
Andy

--
Andy Kaplan-Myrth LL.B., M.A.
Manager, Law & Technology, University of Ottawa

Faculty of Law : Faculté de droit
University of Ottawa : Université d'Ottawa
57 Louis Pasteur Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5
Canada

t. 613/562-5800 x3206