cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:06:17 -0700

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 16:49 -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 4/2/07, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> > * fd.o links to http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/CC-BY-2.5 rather than
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/ which means the page will
> > not be recognized by Google or Yahoo! as falling under the intended
> > license.
>
> Googles license search appears to use RDF, not linkdata. What am I missing?

I can only speculate about Google, but my speculation is that they can
deal with RDF (embedded in the page only, NOT <link>'d) or links
qualified by rel="license". (And FWIW the practice of
RDF/XML-embedded-in-HTML-comments generally sucks, we're no longer even
handing it out at http://creativecommons.org/license/)

Not that I see any recommendation to use RDF in any form on fd.o.

And even if <link>'d RDF were consumed, fd.o's does not point to the
canonical license URL
http://freedomdefined.org/index.php?title=Definition&action=creativecommons

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer