cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:51:35 -0700

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 09:27 +0100, Rufus Pollock wrote:
> I've long been meaning to write to the list about the Open Knowledge
> Definition and Erik's mail has finally prompted me to do so.
>
> The Open Knowledge Definition (http://opendefinition.org/) was started
> just over a year and a half ago and went '1.0' in September 2006. It
> aims to provide a definition of the 'open' in open
> knowledge/data/content etc.
>
> It is heavily based on the open source definition and the
> Budapest/Bethseda/Berlin definition of open access (also, unsurprisingly
> given the common aims of the Definition of Free Cultural Works and the
> Open Knowledge Definition, these two definitions are in essence
> identical.) The formal requirements can be found at:
>
> http://opendefinition.org/1.0/

"Conventiently modifiable form" and "availability of source data" is
potentially a big difference.

> Similar to the Free Cultural Works logo there is also a set of logos/web
> buttons which people can use to label their work as 'open':
>
> http://opendefinition.org/buttons

Great, you're most of the way towards my suggestion at
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2007-April/005384.html :)

Another nit -- you intend this to be used for "open data" but in many
cases data is not copyrightable, so any copyright license granted could
be somewhere between misleading and, er, anti-freedom. :) As data is so
prominent in the definition you might want to explain this to people.
One attempt is at http://sciencecommons.org/resources/faq/databases.html

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer