cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] New licensing buttons
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 13:41:36 -0700

The buttons look nice, but there are problems with the lack of suggested
use and the use on freedomdefined.org.

* Merely putting one of these buttons on one's site does not identify a
specific license used. There is no indication on
http://freedomdefined.org/Logos_and_buttons that one should link to the
specific license used.

* fd.o links to http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/CC-BY-2.5 rather than
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/ which means the page will
not be recognized by Google or Yahoo! as falling under the intended
license.

I suggested some better practices at the bottom of
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-community/2007-February/001579.html

If I were you I would encourage people to use the standard CC
buttons/link and a free button that could be placed alongside
the CC
license button and would link to something like
http://freedomdefined.org/check

The code at that URL would scrape the referrer. If content at
the
referrer includes a link to an approved license, the user gets a
page explaining why the license is free, if not they get warned
of a bogus usage of the free button and encouraged to use a
really free license.

Actually, if I were you :-) I'd probably come up with a single set of logos
that don't mention a specific license for use as above, especially given
that you've defined some requirements (source) that aren't inherent in
several of the qualifying licenses or public domain.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer