cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] thread getting incredibly dull- do we need a -ot list? [was Re: NC considered harmful? Prove it...]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] thread getting incredibly dull- do we need a -ot list? [was Re: NC considered harmful? Prove it...]
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:04:05 -0700

On Thu, 2007-22-03 at 22:15 -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> Better yet, can there be a cc-licenses-offtopic or something similar
> that such discussions can preemptively be shunted to when they get
> repetitive, or of interest only to a few?

Mailing lists are bad for discussing complex issues. The results of any
mailing list discussion are an inconclusive series of hundreds of
messages petering out into meta-chat. The broadcast nature of the medium
means that people get the messages whether they're interested in the
subject or not.

cc-licenses participants should use the CC wiki for brainstorming,
developing ideas, and gathering information. Wikis are great for this
kind of group work since the result of discussions or arguments is a
readable summary document, valuable to participants and the general
public. Tangential subjects can be forked off to their own pages to
develop more fully.

To this end, I've started a page on the CC Wiki for "NC considered
harmful":

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/NC_considered_harmful

I hope Terry and others can update it with some of their findings from
this thread.

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>