cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] thread getting incredibly dull- do we need a -otlist? [was Re: NC considered harmful? Prove it...]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Kevin Phillips (home)" <tacet AT qmpublishing.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] thread getting incredibly dull- do we need a -otlist? [was Re: NC considered harmful? Prove it...]
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:52:01 -0000

>From the perspective of a noob (not a crit or complaint - no offence
intended) :

I was directed here from ccMixter with a question to which nobody answered
or offered a signpost, or friendly nudge. Probably because nobody genuinely
knew the answer, or felt compelled to help out.

I picked up a conversation which interested me, which WAS about a license
issue.

Others took part.

The conversation got flamed, right about the time it would probably have
ended naturally.

Fortunately I came away with a slightly different opinion of SA and NC
licenses which I wouldn't have gathered from a legal document. Thanks to
Drew and the others willing to provide tone to my particular shade of grey.

Unfortunately I'm less likely to wish to ask further questions or continue
threads in the knowledge that doing so may be considered boring or grey.

imho fwiw I think you guys need to make a decision as to the goals of your
mailing list.

Is it here to allow you guys to thrash out aspects of the licenses? If you
don't want noobs like me "remixing" old ideas then make it a private
list....and make sure ccMixter stop forwarding folks here.

Is it here to help people like me find answers to the odd license question?
If so you may want to answer folks swiftly, even if it's a firm "no" or
"sorry" they'll have less incentive to stick around kicking their heels.

Is it here to cater for a very specific thread of licensing? Then you may
need to split things into sub-threads but PLEASE don't start using vague
terms like "off topic". I've seen far too many great mailing lists
fragmented into generic useless terms.

You could always just leave things as they are and buy a mouse with a scroll
wheel ;)

Over and out,
Kevin

#d0d0d0