cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:33:26 -0500

On Friday 02 March 2007 02:11 pm, Mia Garlick wrote:
> um, a collective work is the same as a collection under CC licenses.
> a collective work is the US description for what is described as a
> Collection in the Unported licenses (which are based on international
> treaties).

So, if I read you right, the GPL seeks to control these while BY-SA doesn't.
Is that a fair statement?

If so, what is it about code that works such that doing this does not cause
undue hardship while proposing that BY-SA do the same will cause undue
hardships in the eyes of many? (some?)

Or do those objecting to a stronger copyleft in BY-SA dislike the GPL?

> On Mar 2, 2007, at 2:15 AM, Antoine wrote:
> >> So, the BY-SA decided not to apply to collective works but the GPL
> >> decided
> >> apply to collective works. ??? Is that right?
> >
> > No.
> > "Collective works" and "collections" are not the same thing.
> > A collective work is a single cohesive work that has been worked on by
> > several people. A collection of works is, well... a collection.
> >
> > As Rob I think the GPL's "mere aggregation" is equivalent to the
> > CC-by-sa's "collections".

(da idea man)