cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:26:40 +0100

drew Roberts skrev:
> what [is] a new picture is in this context?
> What if there is just parts of other pictures jumbled together?

A new picture, in this context, is a picture that expresses an idea in a
different way than any of the pictures used in the collage.

If I take pieces from ten pictures and each pieces is identifiable as
being a part of another work and I assemble those in such a way that I
create a new image then I have created a new picture. This collage is an
adaptation of ten other works and you need to secure the right to
publish the adaptation (NB! in civil law jurisdictions you are _always_
allowed to create adaptations without asking for permission).

If the pieces I take are not identifiable as being a part of another
work then the image I create becomes a new independent work.

/Peter Brink