cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:10:02 +0100

Rob Myers skrev:

One thing I'm curious about is whether including (e.g.) a short poem makes an essay a derivative of it, or whether that kind of quotation has the same aggregate/collective status as a photographic "quotation".

As far as civil law jurisdictions goes I would assume that the answer is no.

drew Roberts skrev:

> Does fixing spelling, punctuation, and other minor things make
> derivative or a cleaned up copy.

AFAIK in civil law jurisdictions the answer is no. In the U.K. probably yes. In the U.S.? I'm not sure, it would depend I guess on the level of creativity involved and on the amount of editing done.

> Would a collage make a derivative work or a collection of cropped
> works?

If you use parts of other pictures to create a new picture, then in civil law jurisdictions the answer is yes.

/Peter Brink