cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wolfgang wander <wwc AT lns.mit.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:24:11 -0500

Hi Teun,

I guess the surprise is not so much the commercial use. If you
didn't want commercial usage you could use an NC license and expect
(or better: hope) that this prohibits commercial use of your
photographs. It's also not about the attribution alone, since CC-BY
(without the SA) requires everyone who uses your image to acknowledge
the author.

The surprise factor comes from the apparent lack of bite for the SA
part of the license. Most people I know expect SA to mean Share Alike
even or especially when your photographs are used in an editorial
context, which means that the resulting work, in which a publisher has
built upon your photographs and enhanced the value of his article,
should be licensed under an Open (or Alike) license. This is not the
case. Since SA is sold to you as a copyleft license, it is surprising
to see that it apparently allows for economic free rides.

Hope this clarifies my surprise ;-)

Wolfgang

PS: If you only want attribution, CC-BY is for you. And since CC-BY-SA
acts for photographs like CC-BY you can chose either one without much
of an effect. (SA only refers to images generated from your original
photograph, so yes - there is some difference but not any with regards
to editorial use, the primary use for photographs).