cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wolfgang wander <wwc AT lns.mit.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Clarification needed - Copyleft AND Share-Alike with Images
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:13:06 -0500

Dana Powers wrote:
> It is definitely a problem anytime someone misunderstands what rights
> and restrictions are covered by a particular license. Right now CC
> answers this particular question in FAQ 2.12 here:
> http://tinyurl.com/3a3fav
>
> Do you have thoughts on how this faq could be made more clear?
>
> Dana

Now looking at this FAQ - it requires 'a collection of works in their
exact original format, not adaptations'. In my view:

* any print of a digital image is an adaptation and
certainly not the original format.
* any editorial use of my full size image (it has
to be scaled, maybe cropped) is an adaptation
and certainly neither one is the original format.

Even this very much hidden-from-view FAQ would very clearly exclude
editorial use of my images.

As I said before - for a photographer the SA part of the license
is only meaningful if it refers to the reuse of the image in an
editorial context. Otherwise there is hardly any difference between an
SA and a non-SA license.

I would also like to stress that the above FAQ does not address the
creators rights but is solely written from the re-user's perspective.

For me when I am asked to chose a license on
http://creativecommons.org/license/
and I click on 'more info' for 'share alike' I need to have the
example of image/text combination in this little pop-up box to make
an informed decision.

I doubt that the majority of flickr's cc-by-sa content creators are
aware of or would even remotely agree to your interpretation.

But you asked how his issue can be made more clear? How about this FAQ
entry:
Can I as a content creator require that any other content that contains
my work in original or modified form has to be distributed under a
'share alike' license?

No. Creative Commons licenses are explicitly not designed for this purpose.

That would be a statement that makes it clear enough for me to stay
miles away from any CC- license.

Wolfgang