cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:49:43 +0100

Jörg Zastrau skrev:
[Peter]
To avoid any misunderstandings:
DRM/TPM encryption is allowed as long as it's for *private use*, you may
not prevent others from using the work. Copying a work to a DRM
protected platform is OK if you are the end user. "Private distribution"
is a misleading description since it implies that it's ok to distribute
such a DRM/TPM encrypted work to friends etc.

or in other words: I cannot do this - only Larry can.
partial fix (and hereby invoking other issues): parallel distribution

disclaimer: I am aware that my example is a bit far-fetched. The issue
at hand is one of "convenience".

Joerg Zastrau

To "distribute" is to make a work available to the general public. Copying is not distribution. If you copy a CC licensed work from your computer to a friend's DRM protected device there's no problem, it's still just copying. It doesn't matter to the licensor whether you or Larry performs the copying operation. What neither you nor Larry may do is to make the DRM encrypted work available for download.

/Peter Brink