cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:23:55 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Jörg Zastrau <dl1bku AT gmail.com>:
> ok, now I distribute CC-licensed work on my web page for all my 20
> friends that are unlucky enough to own a MyPod-Player with DRM (for
> free) without providing anything else.
> Clearly, they cannot exercise their full rights

This whole discussion strikes me as extremely odd.
Are you trying to understand some aspect of the license?
Are you arguing for or against some particular piece?

Or are you simply trying to demonstrate that there are
corner cases? Because anything legal will have corner
cases. I'm not sure what the above example proves other
than it's probably OK to help your friend convert some
works to a DRM only platform, but once you start mass
producing those works, it's no longer about just helping
out your friend, is it?

And since this is a lot of questions, I'll boil it down
to one question that I would most of all like answered:

Are you talking hypotheticals?

Do you actually have a friend with a DRM-only platform who
cannot convert his works to DRM-only format and you want to help?

Or are you simply making up hypothetical scenarios that
have nothing to do with your actual reality? Because I
was going along with the idea that you were actually
trying to help a real friend with a DRM-only platform,
but now that you've brought up 20 friends who all happen
to have a DRM-only platform, all I can think is,
wow, what an amazing set of bad luck every single one
of your friends have to purchase DRM-only hardware platforms.
I could see one person doing this, but 20 of your friends
feels like they would all have to go out of their way
to find DRM-only platforms so that your corner case has
any sort of real-world relevance.

So, here's the deal. If you have a real world issue, I'll
be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability,
and suggest courses of action that might poitn you to a
solution.

If you're simply looking for corner cases that break a
license, please indicate that you're talking about a
hypothetical situation. Because dealing with a hypothetical
as if it were real is wasting my time. Hypothetically,
a seatbelt might snag and trap a person in their burning
car and cause them to die a horrible death. But the
statistics of the real world show that your chances of
surviving a car crash are much better if you wear a seatbelt.

Greg

--
Take the Courage Vow
http://www.couragevow.com/