cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jörg Zastrau" <dl1bku AT amsat.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:55:22 +0000

[drew]
Give an example device with its abilities and restrictions and let's see how
things shape up.
[..]
Like I say, I just got back in the loop, but I feel that the "device under
discussion" keeps morphing and so the issue gets muddy.

I agree that my generalization was premature. So let me rephrase the
usage scenario with focus on the DRM-issue alleging that the
envisioned device exists.

Larry Lerner is technologically impaired. He likes to listen to some
by-sa licensed audio on his DRM-enabled device. He has a personal key
that allows him to sign off non-DRM work and use it on his device. He
relies on me as a friend that I download the work on his device as he
has no clue how to do it himself.

I take his device to my home, sign-off the by-sa licensed work and
return the device now loaded with the by-sa-drm work back to Larry.

(this is what I called "private distribution")

[me]
[..] Most of my concerns are invalidated if DRM/TPM it is
allowed for "private distribution".
[drew]
I think this may be a "wording issue" or a misunderstanding. DRM/TPM may be
allowed for private application. I don't recall it being allowed
for "private
distribution".
[Peter]
To avoid any misunderstandings:
DRM/TPM encryption is allowed as long as it's for *private use*, you may
not prevent others from using the work. Copying a work to a DRM
protected platform is OK if you are the end user. "Private distribution"
is a misleading description since it implies that it's ok to distribute
such a DRM/TPM encrypted work to friends etc.

or in other words: I cannot do this - only Larry can.
partial fix (and hereby invoking other issues): parallel distribution

disclaimer: I am aware that my example is a bit far-fetched. The issue
at hand is one of "convenience".

Joerg Zastrau

--
Jörg Zastrau