cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] license draft usage scenario questions
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:56:54 +0200

On Oct 29, 2006, at 04:54, Jörg Zastrau wrote:

Unfortunately Larry only owns a DRM-enabled portable audio player but
there is a legal way to record the home-grown audio to the player (key
is available).

Can I comply with the license terms if I download the audio to his player?

You can comply with the license if you give Larry audio files without TPM with instructions on how to load them on the player.

- Is the issue of mixing GNU FDL content with by-sa content resolved?

No. You can have them side by side on the same audio device. If you mix them, you can use the result in private but are not allowed to distribute the result (without asking permission from every upstream copyright holder).

(I don't like DRM - but common
sense suggests that we have to live with that in the future).

I don't think common sense suggests audio players that are TPM-only and the user of the device cannot apply TPM.

so - why not consider that parallel distribution approach treating the
DRM-free-version similar to sourcecode in the GPLV2 and the
DRM-enabled version as binary? I don't get it.

With GPLv2 there's the problem of tivoization. Parallel distribution does not solve it.

Moreover, the distinction of compilation and the application of TPM is not technical but legal. It is also qualitatively different in terms of the purpose.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi