cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:50:04 +0100

I am not a lawyer, I could be wrong, I don't remember the discussion we had about revoking the license offer.

On 28 Apr 2006, at 19:38, Evan Prodromou wrote:

On Fri, 2006-28-04 at 20:03 +0200, Erik Moeller wrote:
Unfortunately, Flickr makes it trivial to change the licensing for all photos by a user retroactively. [...] What are our legal obligations? Do we have to retroactively delete these photos, or can we state that, since they were once flagged as being e.g. CC- BY, they can be assumed to always be CC-BY, no matter what Flickr says?
Creative Commons licenses are technically for always and forever.

IIRC: They are once you get them under the license. But you can stop offering them under the license.

If that is correct the flickr user can stop offering the work under a CC license. But anyone who already has the work can use it under the CC license and can pass it on.

It's kind of annoying that Flickr doesn't have more notification for the user to this effect.

flickr should add the license to the metadata of images. That would fix this.

And possibly Wikimedia Commons users should screengrab the image with the CC license next to it to prove that the work was offered under that license.

- Rob.