cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Erik Moeller" <eloquence AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:09:36 +0200

On 4/28/06, Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name> wrote:
I probably wouldn't insist on the matter, though. If the licensor really doesn't want you to use the work, why go out of your way to use it? There's too much other Free Stuff out there to make a big deal about it.

The thing is that
a) people (Wikimedians) are filing deletion requests on Wikimedia Commons about files whose license was retroactively changed, because they look at Flickr and they do not see the same information as on WMC. These may be files which have already been embedded into Wikipedia articles at the time they're listed for deletion. I would prefer not to delete them unless we have to.
b) if you're right, and the license commitment is forever, that would mean I don't have to go to any further effort to police license changes, which would be a great relief.

Erik