cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Kinzler <daniel AT brightbyte.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:33:43 +0200

Hi all

> Unfortunately, Flickr makes it trivial to change the licensing for all
> photos by a user retroactively. So it is quite common that images
> which were labeled as free by the time my script spidered them, or
> even by the time they were uploaded, are relicensed later to a more
> restrictive license.

This is a serious problem in Flickr's interface - a change in license
terms should at least be publicly documented. It should also be made
clear to the users that a license once given can not be revoked.

So, *please*, someone involved WMF, tell Flickr to fix this - we have
become big an well known, and are cooperating with Yahoo, who owns
Flickr. It *should* be possible to get this fixed...

Regards,
Daniel

--
Homepage: http://brightbyte.de