cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Flickr photos with revoked licenses
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:38:56 -0400

On Fri, 2006-28-04 at 20:03 +0200, Erik Moeller wrote:
Unfortunately, Flickr makes it trivial to change the licensing for all
photos by a user retroactively. [...]

What are our legal obligations? Do we have to retroactively delete
these photos, or can we state that, since they were once flagged as
being e.g. CC-BY, they can be assumed to always be CC-BY, no matter
what Flickr says?
Creative Commons licenses are technically for always and forever. It's kind of annoying that Flickr doesn't have more notification for the user to this effect.

I probably wouldn't insist on the matter, though. If the licensor really doesn't want you to use the work, why go out of your way to use it? There's too much other Free Stuff out there to make a big deal about it.

If you want to get super-fancy, maybe when you detect a change in the license for a photo you've used, send Flickr notification to the photographer, and let them know how they could request to get the photo taken down.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>