cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Dumping CC-BY-NC-ND and Narrowing CC-BY-ND

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ŭalabio‽ <Walabio AT macosx.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org, Cory Doctorow <doctorow AT craphound.com>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Dumping CC-BY-NC-ND and Narrowing CC-BY-ND
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:11:05 +0000

¡Hello!

¿How Fare You?

Awhile ago, I did took an impromptu poll and determined that most people hate CC-BY-NC-ND as being antithetical to the purpose as a creative commons (one cannot build on them). We should remove CC-BY- NC-ND from future versions of the licenses and reduce the scope of CC- BY-ND to commercial works.

We should create all licenses along these lines:

0. - the freedom to run the work for any purpose (called "freedom 0"), at least noncommercially
1. - the freedom to study and modify the program ("freedom 1"), at least noncommercially
2. - the freedom to copy the work so you can help your neighbor ("freedom 2"), at least noncommercially
3. - the freedom to improve the work, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits ("freedom 3"), at least noncommercially

In the meant time, I find that CC-BY-NC-ND is such an abomination, that I do not feel bound by it. I shall follow the freedoms. To me, CC-BY-NC-ND is CC-BY-NC. CC-BY-ND does not apply to noncommercial works. I shall write all of the missing chapter I want for CC-BY-NC- ND and CC-BY-ND and release them noncommercially. I shall encourage others to do likewise.

CC-BY-NC-ND and CC-BY-ND applied to noncommercial works is incompatible with the concept of a creative commons because one cannot build on them.

¡Thanks!

¡Pax!

¡Health!

¡Bye!

Ŭalabio‽

--

― “It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.”

Joseph Stalin, General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

― “I am committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year.”

Walden Wally “The ElectionFixer” O’Dell, Chairman and CEO of Diebold.Com ― Self-service, security, election and service solutions