cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Use of BY-SA and "the work"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Stephanie Rieger" <steph AT yiibu.com>
  • To: "'Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts'" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Use of BY-SA and "the work"
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:09:48 -0800

Hello,

I’m looking for opinions regarding specific uses and ShareAlike.

If I use a by-sa photograph within a post on my blog (or a page on a traditional web site), what is considered “the (derivative) work”? Must my entire blog (and all the work it contains) be licensed by-sa or simply the post? Does this change if instead, I I use the photograph as a graphical element within the site (site navigation, a banner etc.) What if I use it in a blog template that I then sell or give away? I would assume the template must be licensed by-sa but must downstream users license their entire blog by-sa if they use the template?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Stephanie