cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use of (BY-NC-ND) pictures on a blog with ads.

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ivan Castell <ivancastell AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use of (BY-NC-ND) pictures on a blog with ads.
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:39:23 +0100

2005/11/3, Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>:

If I posted something under an NC license and you used it to draw people
to your site and get money from Ads I would get upset and I would
consider it a violation of the license.

Thanks a lot for the input Daniel.

That's also my point of view. But as I'm not 100% sure about it, that's the reason I don't put any Ads on my site (if I'm pro CC licences, I'm the first one that should respect it). But I've seen that a lot of CC/Copyleft related blogs, use this kind of licenced pictures (BY-NC-ND) and they also have Ads, and that puts an ethical issue on me, wondering the legal or ethical aspect of this practice.

I.e. I'll not mind if someone use some of my pics under a by-nc-nd (or sa) licence under a blog with some ads, but if this person sell this picture, then I'll be upset and I'll consider it as a violation of the licence. But this is a personal opinion and I'll really like to hear some legal advice about it.

Cheers.

Ivan

Mi Blog: http://ivancastell.org