cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] use for software

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Tom Hosiawa <tomek32 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] use for software
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:59:09 -0400

> Well, as far as I understand it, the reason te GPL does not affect "web
> apps"
> is because one of the freedoms it considers important is the freedom to make
> and use private modifications and to keep your code private. The code
> "share-alike" provisions kick in when you choose to not keep your mods
> private but to distribute them. So, when you let someone log into a web site
> and make use of the site, you have not given them the code and so you can
> keep your mods private.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on similar issues if you were to give someone
> remote desktop access via something like vnc?
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

Thanks for all the response. I think I'll just stick with the GPL for
now and see what comes out in version 3.

As for your question, I wouldn't have an issue with that until vnc
would become the primary method of viewing the application. I don't
want to start a big debate about it because I know this is not the
place for it and I have no desire of getting into the politics.

But from my point of view, if all software didn't need to be
distributed like web apps, there would be no point for the GPL. What's
the point in saying you have to do such and such when you distribute
it, when it's never going to be distributed? It would sound like the
BSD would be a better fit because you can't make them share, but if
they do, it's purely voluntary.
--
Tom